Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas is wonderful

I'm going to take a little pause out of my 30 day blog posting for few Christmas posts.

I'm having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit this year. I don't know what it is, but I find myself being a little bit of a Scrooge this year. Last night we had a huge extended family Christmas party in Pocatello. It was for my mom's side of the family.We had a huge dinner and then had a little program. We all sat in a big circle and each of the families had their own little Christmas story or thought to share. My Dad shared a little Christmas wish list that he wrote several years ago. This list was published in a few magazines and newspapers. I think this wish list captures a few of the things that I have been hoping and wishing for too, so I wanted to share it here. Please note that you do not have permission to copy or use or publish this poem except if you have special permission from me or my dad, Jason Dahl.

These Are My Wishes for the Christmas Season
By Jason Dahl 

I wish people could see themselves Christmas shopping. 
I wish for more kindness for drivers everywhere. 
I wish I were as happy about snow in March as in December. 
I wish there was a Santa Claus. 
I wish that people could realize that: 
  • What you do is more important than what you have;
  • What you say has meaning;
  • Bell ringers are people too;
  • The postman is a little stressed now;
  • Christmas is for kids;
  • Being a kid at heart counts as being a kid;
  • Your sled goes faster is you laugh and scream;
  • Marshmallows are a required ingredient in hot cocoa;
  • Reading to your children is a present. 
I wish I knew the answers to all my children's questions.
I wish I were a wise man.
I wish i didn't have a belly like a bowl full of jelly.
I wish everyone could:
  • Hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in person;
  • Give more away than they keep;
  • Have a baby of their own around Christmas;
  • Smile;
  • See the Christ child;
I wish I had a sport utility vehicle.
I wish I could grow a long gray beard.
I am glad I'm not gray.
I wish everyone could experience:
  • Hunger, for empathy;
  • Poverty, for thankfulness;
  • Plenty, for generosity;
  • Repentance, for forgiveness. 
I wish that everyone who asked "How are you?" wanted to know how I am.
I wish for solitude.
I wish for companionship.
I wish I could get more ties for Christmas. Really!
I wish there were more heroes.

I hope to get snow.
I hope to get rid of snow shortly thereafter.
I hope for pumpkin roll.

I wish childless couples could get their wish.
I wish parentless children could get their wish.
I wish parents and children would appreciate each other more.

I wish for food for the hungry, warmth for those who are cold.
I wish for homes for those without and toys for all.
I wish I would act on my wishes and not just wish them.

I wish you a Merry Christmas.






Also at the party my Grandpa made these wooden vials for all the priesthood holders in our family. The wood from these vials is made of wood from the Smith farm in New York, the Sacred Grove, and other well known Church History sites. They held oil for blessings. The oil still needed to be consecrated, so my grandpa invited all the Melchizedek Priesthood holders to come up to help consecrate the oil for blessing the sick and afflicted. Dave was able to go up and bless the oil.
In that circle of worthy men, Dave felt the awesome power the priesthood could have. He felt Christ's love for everyone. Dave was touched with the spirit of Christmas and the true love of Christ.

We wish you a very Merry Christmas full of Charity, Love, Happiness and the wonderful light of Christ. God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment