Monday, February 21, 2011

A little slow...


So I'm a week late with my goal. And I'm two blankets short. But I did do it. I finished something that I wanted to do. 
I used to be such a determined person. I knew that if I really wanted something, I could work hard and get it. But I've had a goal for a while now and I've been working hard... and I haven't made it yet. Sometimes life just doesn't work the way that you want it to. 
But I've realized that many of my other goals have gone by the wayside because of my inability to complete this one other specific goal. So I chose to remedy this. Just because one aspect of my life isn’t perfect, doesn’t mean that I have to neglect the other parts of me. I decided that I needed to make more goals and follow through with them. I needed to be a determined, confident person again.

So I started out small. I made a service project goal. My goal was to spend $20 dollars of my birthday money on fabric to make 4 blankets for the Calling All Angels service project. However, I didn't make 4 blankets because fabric was more than I had anticipated. But I was able to buy enough fabric for 2 blankets and my mom was able to help provide some fabric too. The struggle with this project was that I needed my mom's help with it (and I needed to use her sewing machine.) Both of us are pretty busy people. So it was hard for us to find time where we were both free for a couple of hours. We finally got to it on Saturday, cutting the fabric and pinning it together. I sewed one of the blankets together and then we decided to finish the other one on Sunday. When I started working on it on Sunday, I found that my mom had already cut it and pinned it together for me. She’s so nice. I don’t think I could live without my Mother. All I had to do was sew. So sew I did. After sewing the sides together, I turned the blankets right side out, ironed them, and then sewed around the outside one more time. I did little decorative stitches on the outside. I thought that they turned out pretty cute. I tied the blankets up with bows, placed them in Ziploc bags and gave them to my coworker to give to his sister-in-law. Done. Goal completed.



It felt good. Felt good to do a selfless act. Felt good to do some service. Felt good to complete something that I started. The pink blanket reminds me so much of my blanket. 
Hopefully a mother will look at the blanket that I made surrounding her brand new little one and feel thankful. Hopefully the baby will feel loved and warm. Hopefully these blankets will soothe them, comfort them, make them feel safe.

“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
-Proverbs 3: 5-6

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Karlee! Thats so neat! And your mom IS awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome and I'm so glad you did it! Don't give up on the other goal and just keep on being amazing and it will come! Love you!

    ReplyDelete